Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Setting up a RISC OS development Environment

Installing software:

For this I have chosen to emulate RISC OS rather than have a separate set up with multiple keyboards/mice or using VNC (also, I don't want to buy a RPi 400 atm)

For this I have gone with RPCEmu and used their Quickstart package for RISC OS Direct 5.27

While this is not the latest version (as of 2022-06-23 it is now 5.28) I think this close enough.

As far as I am aware, all other emulators out there wont run 32bit RISC OS anyway.

I did notice that a fair few of the applications included with this quick start package are available under !PackMan but are not registered with this application. Meaning that if you want to install up to date versions, you will need to uninstall the provided ones or have the new ones overwrite the location they are in - most of these are not in default locations!

Once the program is downloaded and unzipped to a location of your choose in Windows, you can run it by double clicking on RPCEmu-Recompiler.exe, this runs better than the interpreter.

After a few moments (I believe the first run takes a bit more time than subsequent ones) you will be presented with the following screen:



Changing settings:

From here you can personalize the OS. For me I choose to do the following:
  • Change screen resolution to max. 1920x1080. Later on I will try set this higher as my host machine is running 3440x1440 !AnyMode?
  • Remove CD and floppy stuff as we wont be using these
  • Choose a new background
  • Auto run !Help, !StrongEd and !Netsurf
  • Auto run !Alarm and set format for the date to 2022-06-23 format %ce%yr-%mn-%dy
  • Change Time Zone
  • Change Theme to Raspberry
  • Change Keyboard Format to USA
  • Create a My Documents folder and pin to desktop

Screen resolution:

Haven't been able to figure out how to reliably change the resolution for a larger host desktop but the following seems to work:


And yes, I've done all the mucking around with Monitor files etc that I can.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Windows 11, Bare metal and in a VM!?!

 Wait what? Currently I run Pop OS 22.04 as my daily driver. I have the same installed on my work laptop. This came about as I found while d...